DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Urgent!! DB Recovery problem

I am in the progress to clone a database from host A to host B. I copied all hot-backuped datafiles, backed-up controlfiles, init.ora, password file and recent archived log files to host B.

From my past experience, as long as I restore all the files to the same loacation as at host A, I should be able to mount and open the database. (This is on Solaris8 Oracle816.)

Now, after mount, I tried to "alter datbase open resetlogs;", it
    said:

file 1 needs media recovery

Then I applied ALL archived log from host A. Then, it still ask for more archived logs. But there is no more archive logs to apply! I am not able to open the database.

Why?

Did you recover with backup controlfile? If so, you just have to cancel your recover once all the logs have been applied. See http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/...T&p_id=69468.1 for details.
    Jeff Hunter

Did you clone when the Host A database is running. O.K. After applying all the archive logs. Simply open the Database. It should open. As you might have used to create the database using backup control file. It does not know the last archive log file it created. So open the database it should open.

Thanks
    Kishore Kumar

Query from V$LOG to find out the log sequence number which was not archived, and submit the redo log file when Oracle asks for during the recovery.

Then open the database with resetlog.

Opps!! I forgot about that. You should apply the Log which is not archived before openining.

Thanks for correcting me Tamil.
    Thanks
    Kishore Kumar