DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to size database ( Excel File Included)

Angry

Hi, everybody

Don't worry Sudip, I don't mind to share: real experience comes from knowledge sharing, and this site is a really magnific example!

I'll send the sheet and sql script to uday on next week (since I'm now finally resting for the week-end... ). Hope it will be one day present on the site with the explanation on how to use it...
    For this, I'd like too to answer to tamilsevan: the purpose of this excell worsheet is to HELP in sizing databases in a general way:
    For "junior" dbas, -anyone of us started one day, isn't it?- it is not very simple to size a table, index, and tablespace...
    For experienced dbas: try to estimate how much time you will gain on sizing a hundred-tables with associated indexes database whith a 'cut & paste'...

I work for a huge tyres manufacturer located in France (did you guess?), and 'own' about 200 7/8/8i oracle databases on NT and Unix, all around the world, from the smallest one (150Mo, one table...) , to the most complex ones (huge 1.5To datawarehouse linked with other databases, databases with hundreds of tables & indexes, 24/24 7/7 availability, etc...).I'm in charge of those databases, from the architecture to the tuning and availability, and support for developpers...
    The worksheet gives a good estimation for sizing "generic" databases, it helped me in sizing the huge majority of 'my' databases and appears to be very, very helful and precise when filled the good way.
    I don't by disks buy myself, but when I am asked to give to the server's administrators an estimation on the disk space (and processor/memory use, but that's another subject) my database will use, it is always a NECESSITY to give a good one and to don't overestimate it, as I am not alone on these servers!
    As you said, "don't waste time in sizing": that's EXACTLY the purpose of the excell sheet. (I'd like to add too, that disk space is still awfully expensive on unix machines... )
    The few people who already received my mail will have noticed that I wrote about maxtrans and initrans (which are present in the worksheet)...

For every people who asked me to send them the excell sheet, I'll continue on next week too. I already started to to so, but had no much time to complete to you all! I also mispelled a few adresses (nobody's perfect...), and I seem to have some difficulties to reach "123india" (sorry for you, guys...).

Cheers, and keep smiling!
    (no offense)

Fabien

Thumbs up Excel Sheet

Hello Fabien,

I am also very interested in your Excel Sheet.

Please send me too..

If anyoone who has got Fabien 's Excel sheet, please kindly
    share it with me.. Maybe too many requests will bother Fabien
    a lot..

Thank you very much !!!!

chizeta@sinaman.com

Cjbk

i'll follow cjbk

my email is shawish_sababa@hotmail.coml

I wana look why every one needs your magical excel sheet.Could you please send me at r_sonakiya@hotmail.com

pls, I need your magic excel sheet. please send to

raining32@hotmail.com

thanks

Hello Fabien,

I am interested in your magic Excell sheet also. Could you send a copy to

ashwin32@123india.com

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
    Could I also request for for that magic sheet
    my email-id is
    oracletst@yahoo.com

Thanks in Advance
    PSoni

Fabien:

Could you please include me in your mailout list.

ora_dba2002@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Keep up the good work.

can i get the excel sheet for estimating table size too.
    my email t.schmidt@traian.de

Regards
    Thomas

Is there a way to publicate this "magic spreadsheet" on this forum? This tread will never be closed otherways, and this will become a full time job for you. BTW why should I miss doing magic? Please send it to me also djcarving@hotmail.com