DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: database creation problem

Hi all,
    I need to know how to undo a screw-up. I tried to create a database in sqlplus using the Create Database command. But I made an error when specifing my datafiles. I entered a directory that didn't exist. So now I have a partially created database that I can't mount or can't recreate. How do I delete it's partial existance so that I can recreate the database or how do I create my datafiles now?

Thanks in advance for your help
    Yvonne

What is the OS and Oracle versions that your are trying to work it on?

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Oops, guess that would help. I'm using Solaris 8 and Oracle 8i

database creation

Hi,
    I did come across similar problems.....
    My OS.....sunsolaris 8
    oracle ver 8i.......
    When the directory is not existing it will not create the database.
    It will fail saying not existing...recreate the dir and rerun the script...it will work.
    here I am mentioning the dir in logfiles....and system file dir....and control files..
    ....otherwise create the dir....in all the mount points and run the script again......it will work...It worked for me.
    Hope I have cleared you.
    Thanigai.

Hi

Did you generate these database creation scripts thru dbassist in solaris if you did it is pretty simple just Invoke dbassist again you will have an option to delete the database once you select that in turn it will remove all files

If you have manually created the database creation script they you will have to manually delete all the datafiles.

When you are creating a database I would suggest you use dbassist to generate your database creation scripts because it is much easier once you have generated the scripts you can customze according to ur requirment and then execute from the prompt

Hope this helped

Regards
    Santosh

Go to the $ORACLE_BASE/admin and
    rm -rf sid

then $ORACLE_BASE/oradata or go to the directories where you created the files and remove them
    rm -rf sid

then
    cd /var/opt/oracle/oratab edit the oratab file.

This shuld help you to roll. Why would you want to create an instance using the sqlplus, you could run the dbassist

$ dbassist

This would make your life more easy and simple. You can even use it to remove a database.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Thanks all,

I can't use dbassit because we don't have a terminal attached to the sun boxes so I have to telnet in and the display won't work over telnet. I've just updated my DBA Studio version so maybe there will be a way to create a database that way.

database creation

Oops I forgot to mention I too did rm -r *
    to delete all the guys.....then rerun it ...
    I did manually only.Hope it will help.
    thanks.
    Thanigai.

Even though you don't have terminal attached to sun box you down load any of the x-windows software from shareware to use dbassist.
    Reddy,Sam