DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle to SQL server

One of our project (located in one tablespace) has to move from Oracle database to Sql server. Has anybody had this kind of experience?

Thanks!

Hi

I have not had an experience from oracle database to sql server but I have done migration using oracle migration workbench from sql server 7.0 to oracle 8i database similarly Iam sure microsoft will have there own product for migration from oracle to sql server allmost all RDBMS Vendors do have there own product for migration try at Microsoft Site Iam surely you will come across some product

Regards
    Santosh

Actually SQL Server has a wizard called Data Transformation Services or DTS, this tool lets you pull information for an Oracle database directly into the SQL Server database. It is a pretty straight forward tool that does most of the work for you.
    Utep

Hi Lgaorcl,

As mentioned you can use the DTS, this will work as long as you have the compatible field types(ie VARCHAR). If you have BLOBS you could have issues, although I belive in SQL Server 2000 you have TEXT fields. I have done LONG to TEXT.

Depending on the amount of data being processed DTS could take a very long time. I have seen the DTS take an hour to move only 250 Megs of Data.

You will have to evaluate closely your stored procedures, triggers and constraints. They don't migrate nicely.

Good Luck.

Hi, guys:

Thanks! Could you tell me where to get data transformation services?

Lisa