DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cold Backup...

Hi all,

I want to know if it is possible to restore just one table from a cold backup of an Oracle 8.1.7 database. If it is not possible, does anyone have any ideas of a work around for it?

Thanks,
    Shiva.

The one and only way you can restore objects like tables are from logical export dumps. I don't think you have an option to restore it from cold backup.

There is a time consuming workaround for this but, not worth of time spending unless thats critical for your business and its worth more than time you are ready to spend on it...

There is no surity. Its trial and error. Once I have followed the similar procedure for a tablespace restore.
    Reddy,Sam

No problem,
    one of my users droped a table :-) it is funny, but I had a cold backup, I just started database from cold backup, made an export of the table, and then just made an import of deleted table to the current database.
    :-)

Originally posted by rshivagami
    Hi all,

I want to know if it is possible to restore just one table from a cold backup of an Oracle 8.1.7 database. If it is not possible, does anyone have any ideas of a work around for it?

Thanks,
    Shiva.

Does this mean that I have to create a new instance and put the data in it and then export that one particular table ?

kgb you were lucky that didnt face any data consistency/constraint problems!

Kgb's approach is quiet risk, as pando mentioned. Unless your db is in the archive mode, the loss of information out of the cold backup alone would be a bad one.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Well, you should have the same amount of luck when you are importing dropped table from an export. There are exactly the same consistency/constraint problems with imp as are with cold_restore+exp+imp. And you have the same loss-of-data isue if you are restoring table from an export.

The bottom line:
    Both exp and cold backup reflects the state of a particular table in a specific moment in time. When you restore that table from any of those two "backup methods" you encounter the same potential problems regarding the loss of data and referential constraint violations.

[Edited by jmodic on 05-30-2001 at 03:55 PM]
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

What the point of recovery?
    I would prefer to lose several records in a one table then lose one thousend records in a DB. I just deleted those records which had constraint problems and informed about that users.
    Our DB in noarchive log mode.
    Best wishes!

Originally posted by pando
    kgb you were lucky that didnt face any data consistency/constraint problems!
    [Edited by kgb on 05-31-2001 at 05:26 AM]

I shuted down Data Base, moved current DB to another location, moved cold backup to normal location, started DB from cold backup, made an export of the table, shuted down, backed current db to db a location, made a table import without indexes, found conflicted constraint, deleted them, created index, informed about deleted records our users, that is all.
    I did that because control file contains paths information.

Originally posted by rshivagami
    Does this mean that I have to create a new instance and put the data in it and then export that one particular table ?
    [Edited by kgb on 05-31-2001 at 04:26 AM]