DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: db sub processes not started

Cool

hi

i recently installed oracle8.1.6 on win nt4 sp3 .with oem 2.1.
    when i run the oracle management server it is not able to discover the node named ursula.the reason being intellligent agent was not available on node ursula.so i used the following command.

lsnrctl>dbsnmp_start
    lsnrctl>dbsnmp_status (now i get a message)
    db sub agent not available
    c:>

what could be wrong ???? any ideas???

i have not been able to discover my node manually either

regards
    hrishy

[Edited by hrishy on 05-27-2001 at 11:23 PM]

Try this; worked for me.

I services stop your agent and restart it again. Then go an refresh your node.

Rgds,
    Nizar.

Hi,
    See there is a bug when u start the dbsnmp agent on Windows NT.The agent gets started but when u type at the lsnrctl> status
    it will show that db agent is not running.
    If u want to see whether the agent is started or not.Go the control panel and in services u will see the Oracle Agent started or at the command prompt
    c:\:> net status

In case of any help please be free to ask me at rohitsn@altavista.com

Regards,
    Rohit Nirkhe,Oracle DBA,OCP 8i
    rohitsn@altavista.com

hi there

when i key in net status in windows NT it si displaying the syntax of the command is

NET [ ACCOUNTS | COMPUTER | START ..................

i am able to manually discover the nodes.but unable to do do so using discover nodes wizard.

plaese help.is there something wrong with my NT installation O/S i mean.

regards
    hrishy

does it require a patch?

check

ftp://oracle-ftp.oracle.com

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

hi sam

there are no ptaches to be applied .i have checked the site

Now a question is that have you installed the OEM under the same oracle home as that of the database? If so, I would advice you to keep it seperate, such that it would help you to perform upgrades easily. Though this is irrelevent to you problem it is good to have so. Comming to your problem, I remeber the intelligent agent had some patches for 8.1.6. I also remember using them on my application too. Please check the agent patch. Before that I would suggest that you reinstall the agent alone and then apply the patches and then try restarting that. It might work. Other follow the troble shoot:

1) check the log:
    $ORACLE_HOME/network/log/dbsn*.log

2) Then rename the files snmp_*.ora at $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin to snmp_*.ora.old

3) Then rename the services.ora file at $ORACLE_HOME/network/agent to services.ora.old

4) Now try restartng the agent

lsnrctl> dbsnmp_start

If you see the services of dbsnmp on the processes list , then you can go ahead and delete the *.old files once after you confirm that you are able to discover the node automatically.

Hope this would help you.
    Sam

Thanx
    Sam

Cool

Hi sam

i think we are on the right track here.............i see from dba_users that dbsnmp user is created but there is no such file as snmp*.ora or anything in my entire hard disk.so i guess i need to create one..........am i right or when i start the oracle agent from services applet it will be created automatically(though this didnt happen to me).

regards
    hrishy

P.S:sam i am new to windows as well as OEM .

Normally the .ora files are being created by the agent. So, if it was a fresh install, I would suggest that you go ahead an install the OEM 2.2 instead of 2.1 and then upgrade your listener to the latest from 8.1.7 download and start the agent. I had some hassel with the OEM 2.1 and now have switched to OEM 2.2. It seems to be O.K for now.

You could also use the same 8.1.6 CD pack and reinstall the oracle intelligent agent alone and try starting the agent again. That could also solve the problem. Do you see any information in the logs of the agent?

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam