DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Supplemental RDBS knowledge to Oracle?

A question to those Oracle pros out there.....in your experience is there been any correlation/benefits/employment advantage to having additional experience in other database systems than Oracle during your recent career?

Secondly, are any of the other database systems (i.e SQL Server, Sybase, etc.) more frequently used in tandem with Oracle? Maybe in one of the Oracle disciplines (Financials, HR, etc.)?

Any input would be appreciated

John
    Have any advice for a DBA-in-training? Any links that helped you better understand Oracle? General items of Oracle interest? Please send them here:

jforacle@yahoo.com

Thanks!

John (Cincy, OH)

If Company is hiring you as an analyst or pre sales person then knowledge of other DataBases are required but if you are going to be just an Oracle DBA then it is not required. Knowledge of SQL server is always a PLUS, but again it's only one man's opinion.

You're going to have to go with your instincts on this one. Opinions vary quite a big on this topic. I think your location and willingness to relocate may be a big factor. If you're in an area that is primarily Oracle or if you don't mind moving, then I wouldn't consider specializing an issue but if you're in an area that has more SQL server or DB2 shops and you do not want to relocate, you are really limiting your job opportunities if you only do one thing. Granted, if you branch into more than one arena, there is more to learn; but the basic concepts are the same regardless of RDBMS.

thanks people....and iadba, you brought up an interesting point about Oracle in geographies. I have seen on more than one occasion references to Oracle being heavy in certian geographies of the country (US I am speaking of) and rare in others. Is there any data out there showing relative users or related info for Oracle and other database programs for that matter??
    Have any advice for a DBA-in-training? Any links that helped you better understand Oracle? General items of Oracle interest? Please send them here:

jforacle@yahoo.com

Thanks!

John (Cincy, OH)