DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORA-00972 identifier is too long - but it ISNT, I promise!

Hybrid View

Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 Standard Edition
    I did an import, without rows, and all the objects were (I thought) successfully imported - Import completed without warnings. Then I import the data. Import completed without warnings. Then I attempt to rename one of the tables from DEPARTMENT_PRIMARY to DEPARTMENT_PRIMARY_HOLD. I get the ORA-00972 identifier too long error - but clearly I'm under my 30 chars. So just to see how short I have to go, I keep shortening the name until I get to:

rename department_primary to xx;

I STILL GET THE ERROR! AAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhh! What is going on?

So, I CTAS (create table as select) to duplicate the structure of the table into a new table. I then use BMC Patrol Change Manager to compare these two objects - only difference is maxextents. So I take the DDL to create the table, all constraints and the trigger from this table, save it, drop the table and recreate it with the SQL. Now I can rename it at will.

Why did this happen? Does it indicate some other error or problem that I need to address? Has anyone experienced this?

from which database did U create the oracle dump and to which version were U trying to import ?, did U get any warnings or errors while U were trying to export and what was the command that U gave while U were trying to export and imprt ?
    A Winner never Quits, A Quitter never Wins
    Ganesh .R

8.1.7.0.0 Standard Edition for export and import
    No error messages - import terminated without warnings

The export/import didn't seem to have any problems, and I don't have any reason to believe that is even related to my problem except it was the only change to the DB before I began having this problem, and only with that one table. The data did load into the table during the import, and I could query it without problems.

When I CTAS and made a new table, I could rename it to the name I wanted for the original. I could find no other problems with the DB.