DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle on Web

Hwllo, any body can help me how i can put forms and report
    in web using forms server , and report server.
    also i need any good book in this subject
    M.Farouk

You can use any of the oracle's middle tier applications like OAS/iAS. Since now OAS had gone obsolete, you could install the 9iAS on a server and use it to dispense your applications to web.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Hi Mate,

Morning!!!

Well...If u r using the following s/w packages to access forms throu web then my explaination suits good as i am currently working on it...

-Oracle Developer 2000 version 6.0
    -Oracle JInitiator
    -Oracle Database 8 or above (nothing much to do with this)
    -Ms IE 4.0 or above with Ms VM installed / Netscape Navigator 4.6 or above without smart download
    - I am using Ms IIS as my web server (which may differ in ur case) with an NT 4.0 machine having an Option Pack 4.0 installed.

Seems quite an outdated installation...but thats my client's requirement...Though people say OAS or O9i r much more friendly but out here u will surely learn some archetecture and some internals...

Well to the procedure of installation...

- Install the web server in an NT machine and configure to run the default web site in the IIS Manager Console.

- Install the Deployment , server option of the Developer 2000 ver 6.0 softwre in the same Machine

To enable forms server to work properly with this server, u need to install a patch file 6a which is freely available from http://metalink.oracle.com web site

else the execution won't b proper...

Now this machine acts as an Application server as per the req spec.

In the Management Console of IIS , u need to create a couple of virtual directories which will point to the physical directories of the fmx (the forms executables) and the html files which will b used to call these forms through a static html file...

Enable the forms server listener from START-PROGRAMS-ORACLE DEVELOPER 6.0 - FORMS SERVER LISTENER from ur desktop which is activate ur forms server to listen in port 9000 (the default port)

As for as the client PCs which would b accessing these forms r conerned, u need to do some browser settings and also install the Oracle JInitaitor in each of the client PCs and configure the Oracle Jinitiator Control Panel.

Now issuing the proper URL say http:// server name>/

u will b able to list down the HTML files which will in turm call the oracle fmx...

Although the process involved is lenght, i have just tried to summarise the entire stuff...

For more information u can get into the following web sites:

http://technet.oracle.com/products/forms/

get back to me if u require more info

Have a nice day!!!

Isn't Jinitiator Applet based. Is it not Slow?
    There Nothing You cannot Do, The problem is HOW.

Yeap...JInitaor is applet based and not that slow in loading the form for the first time...

Once the applet is executed at the startup....the navigation and other internal functions are pretty much fast...

Also can we expect the same performance response in web to that compared to the applications running on GUI...doesn't it need some time to download to the client machine before getting the execution...

Actually the process behind using this JInitaor is that it first checks for the compatiblity of the Applet which is mentioned in the Static html file with that in its jcache to that of the server and then starts its execution...

To check for its compatiblity from its cache, it refers to the
    ..\Program Files\Oracle\Jinitiator\Jcache folder before starting to download the form...

Can u suggest anything more appropriate than this with the mentioned s/w ???

Thanks

Originally posted by isaady
    Hi Mate,

Morning!!!

Well...If u r using the following s/w packages to access forms throu web then my explaination suits good as i am currently working on it...

-Oracle Developer 2000 version 6.0
    -Oracle JInitiator
    -Oracle Database 8 or above (nothing much to do with this)
    -Ms IE 4.0 or above with Ms VM installed / Netscape Navigator 4.6 or above without smart download
    - I am using Ms IIS as my web server (which may differ in ur case) with an NT 4.0 machine having an Option Pack 4.0 installed.

Seems quite an outdated installation...but thats my client's requirement...Though people say OAS or O9i r much more friendly but out here u will surely learn some archetecture and some internals...

Well to the procedure of installation...

- Install the web server in an NT machine and configure to run the default web site in the IIS Manager Console.

- Install the Deployment , server option of the Developer 2000 ver 6.0 softwre in the same Machine

To enable forms server to work properly with this server, u need to install a patch file 6a which is freely available from http://metalink.oracle.com web site

else the execution won't b proper...

Now this machine acts as an Application server as per the req spec.

In the Management Console of IIS , u need to create a couple of virtual directories which will point to the physical directories of the fmx (the forms executables) and the html files which will b used to call these forms through a static html file...

Enable the forms server listener from START-PROGRAMS-ORACLE DEVELOPER 6.0 - FORMS SERVER LISTENER from ur desktop which is activate ur forms server to listen in port 9000 (the default port)

As for as the client PCs which would b accessing these forms r conerned, u need to do some browser settings and also install the Oracle JInitaitor in each of the client PCs and configure the Oracle Jinitiator Control Panel.

Now issuing the proper URL say http:// server name>/

u will b able to list down the HTML files which will in turm call the oracle fmx...

Although the process involved is lenght, i have just tried to summarise the entire stuff...

For more information u can get into the following web sites:

http://technet.oracle.com/products/forms/

get back to me if u require more info

Have a nice day!!!
    Thanks and beast regards about ur compelete answer, plz can u help me to get good doc about how to set oracle dev server.
    this my mail mfarouk10@hotmail.com ,u make me very happy f u contact me and gain new Friend.
    Thanks
    M.Farouk