DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Recovery Error ORA-01207

There is one question in the Oracle Testing software

Question :
    ------------
    Evaluate this error message generated by the Oracle Server when you attempt to perform a recovery operation:

svrmgr> alter database open;
    ORA-00283: Recovery session canceled due to errors
    ORA-01122: database file 1 failed verification check
    ORA-01110: data file 1: '/user_data/db02/u01/sys01.dbf'
    ORA-01207: file is more recent than control file - old control file

Which must be done to alleviate this error?

Answer:
    --------
    To receive this error, you restored the datafiles and attempted to open the database with the current control file rather than the backup. The files are not synchronized and the database will not open. To recover from this error, restore the backup control file. Using the backup control file, recover the database. Open the database with the RESETLOGS option.

My Question
    --------------
    Isnt the error message ORA-01207: file is more recent than control file - old control file misleading. It says that the control file is old , this mean that you should you a newer control file. But the answer says use the control file from the backup.

Can somebody explain me why and what exactly is happenning at the back so that I can understand the question and answer better.

Thanks
    Anurag

[Edited by anuragmin on 05-22-2001 at 05:55 PM]

You are right. This must be an error. is it a question from Oracle STS?

I think:

To receive this error, you restored the datafiles and attempted to open the database with the current control file rather than the backup

should be:

To receive this error, you restored the control file,datafiles from backup except one (data file No.1).

Even this can be recovered "USING BACKUP CONTROL FILE" clause.

In this case error may occur if, any physical changes to the database done after the controlfile is backed up (or) if the un-archived redo log file / archived file is missing, etc.

Yes Indeed , the question is from STS.

Thanks
    Anurag

The control file is created prior to the system file or the changes must be recorded, if not this error shoots up. Now the problem is quite obvious that the changes made to the system file is not recorded in the controlfile. So restore the appropriate system file to proceed further
    A Winner never Quits, A Quitter never Wins
    Ganesh .R