DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Is my database in Hung stage or what ?

Hi,
    I have a fairly small Oracle 8.1.5 OLTP database running on NT.
    The Oracle software is installed on a Dell server and the datafiles are sitting on a NetApp server. There is an NFS mount from Dell server to NetApp.

The database runs in hot backup mode.
    Last night it ran the script to bring the datafiles in backup mode (alter tablespace t1 begin backup etc...)
    The it ran the script to copy the datafiles and it kind of hung up after copying about 1 GB. There was no error in any Oracle log; The alert log's last few lines show that the datafiles were brought in backup mode.

Usually the backup takes about 30 minutes but last night it took more than 3 hours and then it seemed like it was not doing anything.
    At this point I tried to make a SQl/Plus connection from a remote PC and it just waited there.

I was able to connect from the server itself using SVRMGRL but my queries ('select * from v$database) will just wait there without giving me anything back

I had to boot the server to shutdown ORacle and then brought it up at MOUNT stage and brought my datafiles out of the backup mode. I was able to open the database then.

My question is that what was the database stage during those hours when no user was able to connect ?
    Why was this thing not recorded in the Alert log or Trace files?

I suspect the problem was on NetApp side and probably because of network congestion the copy file just hung up but as an Oracle DBA my job is to figure out why Oracle (especially SMON) didn't report it anywhere ?

- Rajeev

Rajeev Suri

I don't think it's an Oracle problem incidently but possible network or OS or server related. Can you check system log to find out?
    goodhealth

There is no info in the NT logs or Oracle logs.
    I also feel that it was Network or Server problem but shouldn't Oracle be available for users when the copying of the datafiles was hung up and also when users could not connect that information should have gone in some Oracle trace file.

- Rajeev
    Rajeev Suri

Originally posted by rsuri
    I also feel that it was Network or Server problem but shouldn't Oracle be available for users when the copying of the datafiles was hung up and also when users could not connect that information should have gone in some Oracle trace file.
    Not necessarily. If Oracle issues an I/O request and there is a hardware error, it should be reported via the OS, not the alert.log.

Maybe you had another problem. Maybe if your archived redo logs are on the remote server the archiver couldn't write to that file system. This would report an archiver error in the alert.log file, but not an ORA error.

It's really hard to say without knowing the cause of the problem. It could be any number of things...
    Jeff Hunter