DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: what is dab studio

what is dba studio

hi

recently i had an oppurtuinity to install oracle 8.1.6 on windows NT and was surprised to see the number of tools that oracle offers on Nt platform.what i would like 2 know is what is this thing called DBA studio what can i do with it.how is it different from oracle enterprise manager.

Is dba studio available on linux if yes how do i start it ??

p.s:i dont have a first hand experience with O.E.M

[Edited by hrishy on 05-21-2001 at 01:05 AM]

Hi Hrishy

DBA Studio is similiar to OEM.It consists of the following tools

1) Security Manager
    2) Storage Manager
    3) Schema Manager
    4) Replication Manager

etc

It is also availabe in Linux.As it is in GUI mode you need to run it from X windows

From Linux you have to execute it at as follows

oemapp dbastudio

Regards
    Santosh

hi santosh

you said that dba studio is available on linux and i have to run it from xwindows.I have thsi cd shipped from technet oracle 8i
    8.1.6 r2 from oracle does this product have dba studio in it??

additionally is dba studio a free product???

how is dba studio different from O.E.M

Its not like OEM. Its a component of OEM. OEM has lots of components for Enterprise Management like DBA studio, Performance Manager, Replication Manager, Backup Manager(RMAN) etc.

The basic components of OEM like DBA Studio will be included with Oracle 8i/9i database to faciliate GUI.

This started with Oracle 815 (You have to explicitely Install) in later release its part of Database Binaries installation On Windows(AFAIK). I don't think it installs by default on Unix Platforms.
    Reddy,Sam

hi reddy

does oracle 8.1.6 technet cd for linux contain dba studio ???

what about orcale enterprise manager is it a separate product to be purchased??

Sorry I don't have any information for Linux. You don't need to have DBA studio on linux to use dba studio against a Linux based oracle database. Configure your tnsnames.ora with a service_name to linux based Oracle Database and use that service_ name when you connect to DBAStudio on windows.

Its component of Enterpraise Management(OEM) tool. You can access any database on any platform configuring repository for OEM(If you want used all the components of OEM with Job scheduler). For DBAStudio kinda stuff you don't need repository.
    Reddy,Sam

As Reddy pointed out, use your OEMon your windows to manage the instances on Linix. If it was the case of dual boot, then you can use the custom installation of oracle and choose the dba studio under the OEM. FYI, I haven't tried this installation under linux as I don't want to mess up my 2.2 kernal libraries, and so far I haven't seen oracle to release its product for the 2.4 kernal. Hoping to see the 9i to come for the 2.4 kernal/redhat 7.1.

Try using the OEM and get familiar with that rather than using the dba studio, which is an optional component of OEM.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!