DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: linux oracle installatioin problem

Hi gurus,

I am trying to install oracle on redhat linux 7. I have a dual boot with nt and linux . I have problem in setting the variable display. unable to set xhost. Someone suggested to open two terminals and login as oracle and set display. I have a linux workstation single user environment. How to open two terminal and set display .

hi

there are somethin called virtual consoles/terminals in linux just press and ctrl+alt+f1 ,ctrl+alt+f2 etc..............you can open 6 terminals....................
    and then

type
    export DISPLAY=hostname:0.0

i preassume you r doing installation from the local workstation...............

regards
    hrishy

[Edited by hrishy on 05-27-2001 at 11:46 PM]

Hi,
    In .bash_profile / .profile under /home/oracle directory write
    DISPLAY=:0.0

Then logout and login and see the result.

In case of any help please be free to ask me at rohitsn@altavista.com

Regards,
    Rohit Nirkhe,Oracle DBA,OCP 8i
    rohitsn@altavista.com

Lightbulb

There have been reports of Oracle 8.1.6.1 not working on Red Hat 7. The problem seem to be an interaction with the new GNU Lib C shipped with RH 7.
    This shows up when you relink the Oracle binaries (Part of the installation process). We have communicated the problem to Red Hat and expect to have a solution for this problem soon.

[Edited by kgb on 05-26-2001 at 09:35 AM]

Hi

If your on the linux workstation you must surely have Installed gnome or kde just use the following key to switch to that GUI terminal you can login from there use the following key combination

Ctrl + Alt + F7 (Function Key)

You can use Ctrl + Alt + F1 to swith back to Character user interface that will be F1 Terminal.If you are going to Install Oracle 8.1.x on Linux platform you can do it from the F7 terminal like that you have allmost 6 virtual character user Interface terminal F1 to F6 and One Graphical user Interface that is F7

Hope this helped

Regards
    Santosh