DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Basic client/server connection

How does one do a basic connect from client to server without using Oracle?

Thanks!

An NT work station talking to an NT Server in a domain. No Oracle/no dataabse. Still the configuration is C/S as Server is serving for Client.

Not Sure. This what you are looking for or something else. Your Question is not supposed to be here if you are not using oracle. Here discussion focus is database products usage and adminstration.
    Reddy,Sam

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I am unable to access Oracle and I don't know what the problem is. Thus, I need to trouble shoot each part of the network. For instance, I need to know if the server is running accordingly, the protocol is working properly, the listener has been configured properly, etc. First thing, I am trying to see if I can connect to the server.

I don't know what the steps are in trying to connect to the server. I know this is too simple for you gurus out there and my improper wording at first make you think harder that you really should. I appreciate the response!

We are also working in a C/S environment.
    To troubleshoot the connection :

Use TNSPING to check if the SQLNET/NET8 is still OK

Use PING to check if you can reach your machine

If PING not OK
    --> network problem
    If PING ok but TNSPING not ok
    --> check listener on server
    --> check tnsnames.ora / sqlnet.ora on client
    --> check listener.ora on server

Hope this helps
    Gert

[assume]Assuming a tcp/ip network[/assume]
    First, check your network connectivity with ping:
    ping server_IP_address

If that succeeds, check your network naming:
    ping server_hostname

If that succeeds, check your net8 connectivity:
    tnsping dbalias 10

If that succeeds, you network is up and running. Your problem now is either in the tnsnames.ora on the client or listener.ora file on the server. At this point, you would post your error message to dbasupport and we can diagnose from there...
    Jeff Hunter

Hi

Follow the steps to troubleshoot the problem

1) Ping the server fromt the client to check network connectivity between server and the client

Ping ipaddress

replace ipaddress of ur server in ipaddress

the server responds if it does not then there is a problem with you network connectivity

2) Next make sure you have the Listner running at the server you can check this by the following command

lsnrtcl status

There are different commands for different version of oracle so check out what database version ur running and use the corresponding commands

3) Make sure there is a TNSNAMES entry available in ur TNSNAMES.ora file and the server ip address, instance name and port correpspond to ur server

4) Then check the connectivity between the client and the server by using the following command

tnsping databasealias

the databasealias is the alias entry which would be entered in ur tnsnames.ora file.The above command will help you to check the connectivity between the database and the client software

Regards

Santosh