DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Saving Database into CD-ROM

Question

Hi. I need to put a very small Oracle Database (to be used for in house training) on to a CD-ROM, which will eventually be used to transfer the database into a laptop.

No one I have spoke to so far have tried it, and I'd like to know if it is possible, if so how some of you might have done this.

Thank you for you patience and help.

Fiona

well I dont think it´s possible since Oracle writes all the time to the redo logs and control files (even there arent any transaction)

Would it be possible then to install 8i to the laptop and copy the database into it?

Fiona

well you can but copy is not that easy

you have two options

1.- Clone a database, with this option you need a cold backup (preferred), a trace sql control file for recreating the control file in the laptop. With this option you can have different paths for the datafile and redo logs as long as you edit the trace sql control file

2.- Copying a database, this is probably much easier if you dont have much dba knowledge the drawaback is your laptop must have same path for the datafiles, redo logs. You need a cold backup as well

Thumbs up

Take a cold backup of yr "small" (cannot be more tha 700 m- CD capacity)database. Install Oracle8i in laptop. Copy the datafiles on the laptop. Try giving the same path name for al datafiles, logfiles etc. Change the ORACLE_SID in regedit. Trymounting the Database. Also the databse copied should have the same block size and o fthe same o/s as the target machine.
    If all is well it will work.

But what I feel is if Databse is small then export import is best option.
    There Nothing You cannot Do, The problem is HOW.

Of course, with the cold backup solutions, you must remember that you have to be on the same platform for this to work. You can't copy Unix files to a CD-Rom and then copy them to a laptop running WinNT.
    Jeff Hunter

Hi,

I have done this. I had cold backup of all the files even Password, Init File etc and my Database was hanging for some reason.

I installed the Oracle again and copied back those files at the Original files and it worked fine. It had all he users, all the Objects etc there, this way I diod not lose any thing at all.

Hope fully there should not be any problem as long you have same O/S and Character set in the Database.

Please correct if I state some thing Wrong.

Thanks.

Itsn't easy to record a Zipped dump on to CD and unzip to import on to laptop and compile all the objects. All you need is recompile script to recompile all the objects rather taking care of the platform issues/file locations etc.

Reddy,Sam