DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SQL*Loader vs INSERT statements

Question

Is it better to use SQL*Loader or just use INSERT statements inside VB for inserting data into the respective tables ?

Please suggest the best solution and let me know why u think that is the best.

If you are loading a lot of data then SQL Loader will probably be faster. It will DEFINITELY be faster if you use the DIRECT=Y option, but there are some limitations when you use this option (must disable triggers and have to rebuild indexes afterwards).

If you are talking about a small amount of data, just do whatever is easiest for you.

-John

I'll probably have small number of records, but the data is loaded very frequently. Will it have any performance consideration if I use SQL*Loader vs INSERT Statements ?

Another question..... is it good programming to use the DDL (INSERT) statements in VB ? What is the impact ?

If you will be using bind variables in you VB queries, then I wouldn't worry about the difference. If that is not possible, then use SQL Loader (SQL Loader DOES use bind variables). The use of bind variables will keep Oracle from having to
    reparse your insert statements every time you execute them.

By the way, DDL statements are things like CREATE TABLE, etc. Things that create, alter or drop objects. Update/Insert/Delete are DML

-John

Sorry about the DDL & DML typo.