Hello, I have an issue with some Dell computers running Win2K (this happened once before and the solution was to rebuild them), where Oracle Universal Installer aborts shortly after double-clicking setup.exe. It appears to be a Java issue, as this the behavior I would expect from a Java issue, but I have been unable to determine which Dell loaded product conflicts with the Oracle Java engine. The version of Oracle is 8.1.6, and most of these machines are P3 (so I have ruled out the installer issue with P4s that I found on the Metalink site)
The Oracle 8.1.6 uses 1.1.8 java. You seems to have stated that you have a problem, without stating the problem If you encounter any errors or anything, please go ahead and post it with the steps that you did and when it failed.
I should have went on to say that no errors were generated or logfiles created during the install. The is the second time I have seen this, and was surprised I did not find anything on metalink.oracle.com. I am almost positive the issue is Java, but was wondering how others overcome the problem (i.e. what software did they have to remove, did they change a reg value, etc.) So far none of the Oracle solutions I found on Metalink have helped. The installer just dies after running setup, and nothing is installed.