DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: internal password

i'm using 8i on linux platform and i want to change my internal account password how can i?

Hi,

You can not change internal password by giving command 'Alter user...'. U have to create REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORD_FILE shared and create a password file and create a connect string for that.

And DO NOT forget to change this parameter in init.ora

darshil

Hi

You can change the internal password by performing the following steps.There is a password file which is created evertime u create a database and this file is stored in ur storage media usually within the ORACLE_HOME directory.You can follow the steps below to change ur internal password.

1) Find and Delete the existing Oracle password file from ur Hard Disk but make sure of the file because u might have more then one databases and remember each and every database will have its own password file until and unless ur sharing the password file for all databases in that case there will be entry in the Init.ora file as follows

REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORD_FILE=SHARED if there is a parameter like this that means the password file is shared for all the databases on ur existing server.

2) Once ur done with deletion of the Oracle password file execute the following command from prompt

orapwd file=passwordfile password=intpassword entries=5

replace passwordfile with the name of ur password file,intpasswd with ur internal password and the entires is optional offcourse this field is optional

Now you should be ready to connect to ur Internal user using ur new password

Regards
    Santosh