DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Oracle 8.1.6 on Windows 98

Hi

1. Basic requirement for Oracle 8i Personal or Server is 96 MB RAM. U don't have that much RAM.

2. NO problem on the harddisk side because u have 10 GB. Only 2 GB is required.

Any my solutions are.

Install the Oracle 8i Personal Edition on Windows 98 by choosing TYPICAL. When the system asks for the database to create by the Database Assistant Tool, Don't create the database. By doing this you are utilizing the available memory of 64 MB to the fullest extent.

Now your installation will succeed. After that choose the DBA Assistant and leave out all the options like Jserver,Spatial etc except Advanced Replication and SQL Plus option.

Your database wud have been installed.

If you have further doubts and clarifications please mail me.

mail id : shrik_m@yahoo.com

Cheers,
    Srikanth

Hi Everybody
    So the Problem is RAM. I have 64mb and minimum
    requirement is 96 mb. Right?????

Thanks

Rekha

64 MB RAM is sufficient. Nothing todo with RAM, some problem with installation, it was hung and rekha rebooted seems. Clean Uninstall and Reinstallation of s/w should take care of the problem.
    Reddy,Sam

Hi Rekha

RAM is not the problem. I've installed Oracle 8i Personal on Windows 98 with 64MB RAM.

So, remove the previous installation completely by deleting files and removing Oracle Key from registry and do a basic installation without creating a database. This will succeed.
    Then, use Database Configuration Assistant to create the database.

During the installation, the % of install may be stranded at 4 or 9% for quite some time. Be patient, it will complete all of a sudden with 99% ..100%. This is my experience of installing Personal Oracle 8i on Win 98 win 64 MBRAM.

With best wishes.

hi..8i requires 96mb RAM...for the starter database to be created.....make sure ur registry is free from prviously installed oracle...go to registry (regedit) and find and delete the oracle enteries b'fore putting up oracle again..

Hi gogo

I've installed Oracle 8i Personal Edition on Windows 98 with 64 MB RAM and it is working fine.

I've also installed Oracle 8i Standard Edition on NT with 64 MB RAM and it works as long as u have enough virtual memory. Ofcourse, when installing it advises u against installing the starter database with less than 96 MB RAM. But I did go ahead with 64 MB RAM and it works fine.

With best wishes.

Thanks Everybody
    I have installed Oracle 8.1.6 on 98 .
    Thanks for your kind support.
    Rekha