DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unix/oracle problem

In your /etc/init.d/dbora script set your ORACLE_HOME to be that of 8.1.7. Then invoke the dbstart and dbshut scripts from the 8.1.7 home. The dbstart and dbshut script would do a validation check internally to make sure they set the appropriate environment and invoke the server manager or so.
    The directory path that would be taken and used for the env, validation check would be the one from the oratab file.

Now if you want to set your environment manually at the login time as a user oracle, then you get read the SID from the user once he logs in and then use that SID and do a match on the oratab file, extract that directory path and execute the oraenv.sh from that directory path. This you have to do through the shell script and put it in your .profile of user Oracle or any users.

Don't worry much about using the dbstart/dbshutdown b'cos it internally does check the versions also.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

If I had miissed some thing, please let us know at what point you think the problem would arise?

1. At the system boot time?

2. At the user login time?

IF it was the first case, then you have to modify your dbora script, can be found under /etc/init.d and point the ORACLE_HOME to 8.1.7. Then modify your oratab file, and change those instances that you want to be started at the boot time, from "N" to "Y". This is what Jeff was explaining. This was my first part of explanation on the previous posting. If you have not put in the script dbora, you can get it from the oracle installation guide and put it. In such case make sure that you follow the other linkings also appropriately. This would release the burden to manually bringing up the instances one by one.

If it were to be the second case, write a simple shell script and put it in your .profile.

The above was the two cases, I was able to infer from this thread. If you are looking for any other means, please explain it in steps with example scenarios if possible.

We are eager to know, what you are eager to do!!

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Thanks for all the help.

I am talking about the system boot time. The ORATAB file is fine. Everything in the oratab file is Y as in yes.

OK when I did cd /etc/init.d trying to get to the dbora script I could not get there. I do not have init.d. directory .Is the name init.d or something different?

Below is everything that starts with init in my /etc directory
    Am I missing something?

inetconf.000918
    inetconf.conf.000920
    inetd
    inetd.24May00
    inetd.31May00
    inetd.conf
    inetd.conf.001127
    inetd.conf.001206
    inetd.conf.001213
    inetd.conf.06Mar01
    inetd.conf.19Jan01
    inetd.conf.56884
    inetd.conf.ftp.debug
    init
    inittab
    inittab.000515
    inittab.000516
    inittab.000612
    inittab.000705
    inittab.000710
    inittab.000912
    inittab.000914
    inittab.001026
    inittab.001101
    inittab.001115
    inittab.001116
    inittab.001207
    inittab.001227
    inittab.010103
    inittab.010320
    inittab.31May00
    inittab.bak
    inittab.test
    inline_edit_korn.htm
    install
    inttab.000828

NOTE: My OS is AIX

It should be under /etc/inittab

Check this link
    http://technet.oracle.com/docs/produ.../doc_index.htm

Choose the AIX installation guide and there, go to chapter 4 and there choose the "COnfiguration Task to Perform as a root user" There they have described the configuration methods to "automate dba startup and shutdown". It is in the PDF format and you would require acrobat reader/ any pdf reader to reade this document.

Hope this would help you.
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Thanks guys. I will keep you informed

Isn't it /sbin/init.d instead of /etc/init.d.

On HP-UX, we have
    /sbin/init.d : contains the scripts
    /sbin/rc[1-4].d : contains links to file in /sbin/init.d to help determine the startup/shutdown order of different parts of the HP-UX.
    /etc/rc.config.d : contains configuration files, used in the scripts found in /sbin/init.d

Regards
    Gert

So which of the two is correct?

Follow the installation guide link and it up. The location of the dbora differs from OS to OS. In AIX, it should be under/putunder /etc/inittab

If you have any questions or doubts pl. let us know.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam