DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent - Startup Oracle Database

Question

Hi,

When I try to connect to my Oracle database I get the following message:

ORA-01092: ORACLE instance terminated. Disconnection forced

How do I startup the database? What should I do?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

What is your OS?

IF it was on Unix, login as oracle user, then make sure
    ORACLE_BASE
    ORACLE_HOME=
    ORACLE_SID=your_instance_name
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=

all had been set in your environment variable. You could check it through

$> env

if not set those environment variables and depending on the shell, you use export or setenv to set them.

Then

$> svrmgrl
    $> connect internal
    or
    connect sys/passwd as sysdba
    SVRMGR> startup mount
    SVRMGR> recover database;
    SVRMGR> alter database open;
    SVRMGR> exit

Hope this would help you. IF you have any problems pl. let us know.

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

My OS is Windows 2000.
    I am not able to connect as internal.

Hi,
    The instance connected to was terminated abnormally, probably due to a SHUTDOWN ABORT. The current process was forced to disconnect from the instance.
    Start the instance and after the instance is started reconnect
    Also see the alert.log file for a possible cause of instance failure.

In case of any help please be free to ask to me at rohitsn@altavista.com

regards,
    Rohit Nirkhe,Oracle DBA,OCp 8i
    rohitsn@altavista.com
    Thanks and Regards
    Rohit S Nirkhe
    rohitsnirkhe@rediffmail.com

The version of Oracle I am using is 8.1.7

My alert log says the following:

Thu May 03 00:07:11 2001
    Errors in file D:\oracle\admin\tsdb\bdump\tsdbCKPT.TRC:
    ORA-00206: error in writing (block 3, # blocks 1) of controlfile
    ORA-00202: controlfile: 'C:\ORACLE\ORADATA\TSDB\CONTROL03.CTL'
    ORA-27072: skgfdisp: I/O error
    OSD-04008: WriteFile() failure, unable to write to file
    O/S-Error: (OS 33) The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.

Thu May 03 00:07:11 2001
    CKPT: terminating instance due to error 221
    Thu May 03 00:08:01 2001
    Instance terminated by CKPT, pid = 1728

Go to your alert log file for this instance and first confirm the cause of the problem. Then log into the server that runs this instance, then go to the dos prompe and follow the steps

setenv ORACLE_SID=ur_instance_name

C> svrmgrl
    SVRMGR> connect sys/sys_password as sysdba
    SVRMGR> startup mount
    SVRMGR> recover database;
    SVRMGR> alter database open;
    SVRMGR> exit;

This would mount the database, recover the database if it was in the archivelog mode, then open the database for the regular use.

sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Restarted the Windows 2000 server in which Oracle runs. We did this 'cos we are not using the database or the server for production. It is only for testing and learning.

Then when I went to DBA studio. I could log on as sys/password as sysdba. As I could see the database was shutdown. I opened the database. Opened successfully.

Then when I clicked on sessions or any other place, it says oracle not available. What should I do?

I did try to shutdown abort, then restarted it, but it still gives me the same error.

Hi S_radhak,

Try to connect the database from svrmgr.
    Go to command prompt.

set ORACLE_SID=
    svrmgrl
    svrmgr>connect internal
    if you connected it's ok other why's get back into windows and
    check your name in the ora_dba group in user manager.
    And if it is not then add your name into that group. The next thing is goto the svrmgrl and connect to the svrmgrl

svrmgr>connect internal
    svrmgr>shutdown immediate
    svrmgr>startup open
    if it is opened then it is ok else
    svrmgr>startup mount
    svrmgr>recover database
    svrmgr>alter database open;

Exit from the svrmgr and goto the services and see the services are up and running if not try to startup the service. Good Luck
    sree

Thank you all.

I think I figured out the problem.
    When I looked at the status of the logfiles, it says it is 'STALE'.

I have rectified it and the database seems to be working fine.

Thanks for all the help.

But I still do not know why my database was down, might be 'cos of the foll:.......................

Actually I installed IFS on the same m/c as the database.
    I specified the port for Java web server as 80 and I think the Oracle HTTP server is also port 80. But I stopped the HTTP server when I use the IFS (which in turn uses the JWS).

What does the database use the HTTP server for?

I think I should change the port for Java Server. How do I do that? or what should I do?

Thanks again.

Wink Unix

Unix... the archaic OS that people cling to because they fear change and are skeptical of any improvements that would make life easier. I guess there is no way to improve upon a blinking cursor prompt right? Why put something in a simple menu when you can type a 200 character command to do the same thing? The OS where simple tasks become complex and admins spend days trying to figure out something that would take minutes on NT or 2000. Unix is great for job security though! It is a pain to learn and tedious to use which scares a lot of people off who would otherwise do a good job. Doesn't Oracle claim their top performing system to date is an NT/2000 cluster? TPC shows similar results. In fact out of the top ten TPC results I think all of one is a Unix system. Go figure....
    I have always heard unix was just always better in every case? At least if you listen to the unix zealots...
    Real world experiences tell a different story. All the things Unix zealots claim NT can't do people are now using it for every day and are having great experiences doing it. Our NT and Unix systems have identical uptime and availability stats. We have NT servers that have not been rebooted for over 6 months and the last reboot was only because of a sustained power outage. That kills most of the stability arguements people try to throw out. If you don't know NT well enough you may have some trouble with it... just like you would if you did not know Unix and tried to be a Unix admin. Kernel panic anyone?

Pentium IIIs now outpace top UltraSPARC processors and cost a fraction of the total you pay. You can build an NT or 2000 cluster (with 16 or more processors) for less than the price of one high end UltraSPARC server. Unix... complexity for the sake of complexity on outdated and extremely expensive hardware. Most companies now have to ask themselves.... why?
    The same tasks can now be done with industry standard hardware that costs a fraction of what proprietary unix systems cost. Yet people still cling to Unix for some reason.
    Similar to people who still think Macs are just always better for graphics (since they heard that in the 80's) even though PCs caught up to them a long time ago. I guess if that is all you know....