DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: shutdown normal

Angry

Hi all.

I try to shutdown my test db by issue "shutdown normal" and it has been 15 mins. I am the only user logged on to that db.
    what is going on? can I just ctl-c to kill it. It i do kill it, am I able to bring db up again? need recovery?
    please help
    Elin@trend

you may have some "job_queue_process" or some other process like OEM connected to ur instance.

You may do ctrl-C and connect it back. See whether anyone is connected. Then do "Shutdown Immeditae".

You should be fine. Oracle will take care, if it needs any instance recovery to be done.

Hi gsprince,

I just did and it scare me to death. I hit ctl-c and use svrmgr30 to connect to db. first time it said Oracle is not available. I went back stop service and restart the service then do startup and shutdown immediate.

It is back now. Thank you.
    Elin@trend

Talking

hi elin

i am not sure but many a times i face this problem .the one you mentioned above .but now i am used to living with it.

heres my soln

if you are on nt/2000

do this open a new session and at svrmgr propmt do this

svrmgr>startup force

and then do a shutdown immediate 9/10 cases it solves the problem.

Hi all

first, elintrend, what happend is that you where connected to the datatbase via sqlplus or oem, or through the command line. it happend to me more then once. if you look at v$session you will find your answer to how is running what at the moment befor you start your shutdown.

when you issue "shutdown normal" the databease is waiting for all user to disconnect. if you have oem connected then you have a user connected and the database will not shutdown until you close oem. when you use "Shutdown Immeditae" the system will not wait for all to disconnect, so the system will shutdown.

better look at oracle documentation for the diff between shutdown normal, transaction, immidiate and abort.