DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

Unhappy

hi all

I have Oracle 8i Installed, with Solaris 5.7, Generic_106541-15 patch. I try log on and send me an error. I'm at the server and is an user that is not a ower of the oracle's software.

$ sqlplus system

SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production on Mon Apr 30 16:34:21 2001

(c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Enter password:
    ERROR:
    ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

Enter user-name:

the database is up and it lend remote conections, the environment is

ORACLE_BASE=/u01/app/oracle
    ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.6
    ORACLE_SID=siebel
    ORACLE_TERM=vt100

siebel is the name of the instance and database.

what can i do?

do a ps -ef|grep siebel and see whether the instance is up and running. IF so then check your listener

lsnrctl services
    lsnrctl status

to see whether the listener is up and running. Then if the database is not up then do

svrmgrl
    SVRMGR> CONNECT internal
    SVRMGR> startup
    SVRMGR> exit

If the listeners are not running then

lsnrctl start

Then try connecting to the instance that you want to connect to. In the mean time make sure that you have a service name entry defined on tnsnames.ora file present under $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/

IF not modify the tnsnames.ora file and add an entry into it and then try connecting to the instance.

BTW if it was a fresh install then your sys password would be change_on_install and your system password would be manager

Good luck,
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

I verify the processes of the database with ps -ef | grep siebel and the database is running, the listener is up and the services of the listener is up too.

what can i do else?

-your environment doesnt have LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH pointing to $ORACLE_HOME/lib and $ORACLE_HOME/bin respectively

Without these environment settings, can you cd to $ORACLE_HOME/bin and type sqlplus system/manager@siebel. This should work assuming your database is up.

Next if none of those work, it could be that you are having too many oracle instances running.
    Do a ps -ef | grep oracle and check to see if there are other instances besides siebel .
    If there are many instances, you need to shut them down and have only the one you are using up and running to be able to use sqlplus