DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How do I???

Hybrid View

I'm building a system that assigns instructors to classes. I have built a master/detail form that shows the class to be assigned and the possible instructors based on certain selection criteria. I want to the system to automatically select the possible instructors and display them in the detail block for the user to select to make the appropriate selection and then input the instructor id into the class record. What do I need to do? I know it involves some kind of trigger but I'm not sure which trigger to use. Do I have to build a cursor to be able to do the selection query? Any and all help will be much appreciated.

My hotmail account won't properly download those files. Can you try sline_computing@yahoo.com ?

Thanks!

From your description, it sounds like an LOV would be a good way to display the instructors. Maybe you could do something like:

Create form which displays a single data block (based upon the "class" data source), in tabular format. Include a non-database item of type pushbutton in that data block, and set the canvas to the same as the rest of the visible items in that block. When the user clicks the button (when-button-pressed) trigger, display an LOV with the list of eligible instructors. Return the selected instructor into an item in the class block.

That sounds like a great idea. i have sent my .fmb file to the address @yahoo.com.
    I'm up against the wall on this one. I've been sitting here on pins and needles waiting for
    your reply all evening. I have to turn this in by Wed. Any and all help would be appreciated.

BL,

I'll help you this evening, about 12 hours from this post. If you have to turn this in tomorrow, I'd suggest you work on it while I'm gone.

I looked at your form. You need to:

create a relation between the data blocks so you'll only see appropriate instructors;

see ya tonight

CHECK YOUR EMAIL