thanks for the push in the right direction
thanks for the push in the right direction. I figured out my poroblem. It wasn't with the new."Patient" part but close. I created a table that the trigger was populating and one of the fields was DATE. I found something on the internet that referenced the database using mixed case on the fields and having a field called DATE. I recreated the table changing the DATE field to ADATE and the trigger works great. I am not sure why the fields in this schema are mixed case. It is driving me nuts. I am new to being an oracle DBA full time and have never seen a database where the case of the fields was like that. I just started here 2 months ago and it is driving me crazy.